“Yes” say the results of two hearing studies 40 years apart conducted by National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), and University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. The results were prominent in upper frequencies (2,000, 3000, 4000 and 6000 Hz) which are responsible for our ability to understand speech sound with a lot of noise in the background (think talking to your friend in a car moving 70 mph with the windows down and sunroof open).
So what are the contributing factors in our improved hearing?
· We smoke less
· We get better treatment for diabetes and cardiovascular diseases
· Our childhood ear infections are treated more effectively
· We receive vaccines that protect us from meningitis
· Those of us with really noisy jobs use hearing protection and get annual hearing tests
· The number of manufacturing jobs has decreased by more than 50%
Those are truly amazing results considering the global march of the iPod!